Thursday, April 29, 2010

What is a "Foodie"?

Since starting this blog, I'm more obsessed with food than ever! I feel the overwhelming need to tell you about everything new, exciting and delicious that I eat! I note the recommendations of others and love a good restaurant review in the paper. So while leafing through the Life section of the Globe and Mail today, I came across an interesting interview - Foodies: Culinary democrats or cultural snobs? - with U of T sociology professors who authored the book Foodies: Democracy and Distinction in the Gourmet Foodscape

The comments on the article revealed the real question.....what is a foodie? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Here's mine as posted to the Comments section of the interview:

"I agree completely with FPV for saying that there are 2 varieties of foodie: the appreciative and the snob. I also agree with everyone who disagrees that foodie culture is "white".

I'm neither a snob, nor am I white. I started my own food blog to chronicle our "adventures in eating" in the GTA. I'm not a food expert. I'm not adventurous enough to eat testicles or brains. But I have an opinion about food. Whether that makes me a "foodie" or not, I don't really care. I love finding that diamond in the rough restaurant. I love tasting something new, authentic and having an immediate reaction of like or dislike. And where I go and what ends up on my blog usually comes from the recommendation of others who have strong opinions about the places they go and the food they enjoy.

In this day and age, where everyone is a critic, whether you are part of a culinary elite or someone like me who actually misses the bread sticks at the Olive Garden, I think anyone with an opinion to share can be considered a "foodie".

But I didn't dare call myself one on my blog. I actually said we're not. I said, "we're just a bunch of girls who like food". And maybe that's all it takes to be a foodie."


Ok, I may not be on the side of popular opinion with the Olive Garden bread sticks - they are actually described as follows on stuntgranny.com: "Nothing says authentic like some bread sticks that a real Italian wouldn't be caught with dead." But c'mon, they were so hot and garlicy, I would've loved them no matter where they were served!

But I digress....


When in doubt, check with Wiki! I agree with Wikipedia's definition of foodie. In fact, by Wiki's definition, I guess I am a foodie simply because I love food! But I still won't call myself one. Going from "Junk Food Junkie" to "Foodie" still seems like too much of a stretch, at least by perception.  

Do you think there's a difference between "foodie" and "foodie posers"?  

No comments:

Post a Comment