Sunday, March 14, 2010

January 2010: Pho Mi 99

At the table: Nad B, Nad R, Bibi, Neera, Shara, Shari

This was Nad R's pick this month. A Vietnamese noodle restaurant - Pho Mi 99 - in the Cooksville area of Mississauga. Bibi invited a surprise guest - Shari from high school! Was a nice surprise. We all ordered something different - some of us ordered noodle soup, I ordered a dry noodle bowl with chicken and veggies. It came with salad and a spring roll as well. My meal was yum!! Very good, huge portions - I had to take 1/2 of it home.

For coffee lovers, I recommend the Vietnamese coffee served here. Never had coffee like this before. It actually steeps in water in your cup with condensed milk at the bottom of the cup. So you steep it and then stir it up. VERY strong, but you can keep adding more water until you can "handle it".

And if you love spring rolls, there's no shortage of variety here.

I remember Neera being not quite sure of what she was eating and sent her meal back. A risk you take when you go "authentic" I suppose, but disappointing when you don't get what you expect. Neera - tell us more about it!

It was hard to communicate with our server because of language, but that was mostly our fault I think - we need to trust that these guys know what they're doing, and they did. I don't know how it compares with other pho restaurants - I know there are a lot, but this place was packed on a Sunday afternoon, food was good, pricing was awesome (I've never seen such a huge difference in price to portion ratio) and portions were unreal.

I would go back, ideally on a rainy day Sunday afternoon for the ultimate in comfort food - and so much more than noodle soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment